“For an artist, this level of empowerment and support is rare and utterly invaluable. The programme carefully facilitates the most magical sense of community, inspiration and support. The hub days are a taonga. Do yourself a solid and apply.”
– Chelsie Preston Crayford
The FilmUp Mentorship Programme is a nine-month professional development programme for practising writers, directors and producers. It supports and empowers up to eight practising filmmakers selected each year to reach the next stage in their film careers.
FilmUp is made possible thanks to financial assistance from the New Zealand Film Commission.
Please note: FilmUp applications are open to permanent New Zealand residents or NZ citizens only. Due to COVID-19 and current New Zealand government border restrictions, all applicants must be residing in New Zealand.
Who is eligible?
- Screen practitioners (Writers, Directors and/or Producers) who have a feature project in development and are able to demonstrate that their project and career are at the right stage for mentorship and wrap-around support. Applications are also open to practitioners from another discipline (DOPs, Editors, Production Designers, Actors etc.) who are embarking on their first feature project as a Writer, Director or Producer.
- Permanent New Zealand residents or NZ citizens currently residing in Aotearoa.
What you’ll need to submit:
- A one-paragraph industry-related biography.
- Information on the feature project you will work on during the mentorship (including logline, one-page synopsis, stage of development, your role on the project and any key collaborators you might have attached)
- A brief description of where you are at in the process, and what the next steps/hurdles are.
- A list of other projects (feature film or documentary only) you have in development.
- A paragraph about why mentorship would be beneficial to you at this stage of your career, and what you would like to get out of the programme.
- The names of up to three preferred mentors. (We cannot guarantee the availability of these mentors, but Script to Screen will work with you to find someone suitable).
- Up to three links to selected previous work (It is not necessary to include everything. Put your best foot forward).
Make sure you also read our Top Five Tips to Make Your FilmUp Application Shine, to put your best foot forward.