APPLICATIONS OPEN NOW
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: MIDNIGHT, 30 August 2020
FIRST FEEDBACK SESSION – ONLINE: date to be scheduled early November
SERIES BOOTCAMP DATES: 3 – 4 December 2020
We’re seeking writer/producer teams with outstanding concepts for a drama series for broadcast or streaming.
Who is eligible?
- Writer and producer teams with a series concept they are developing together (Lead writer/s and lead producer/s are the only team members who will attend Series Bootcamp)
- Emerging and mid-career practitioners*
- Teams who are applying must show a strong track record with produced screen work which may include shorts, features, documentary, web series
- Writers who demonstrate robust and compelling storytelling, with complex characters that audiences will find engaging
- Producers at a stage where they are ready to extend their skills so they can work effectively with commissioners and platforms
- Teams or team members can apply more than once
*STS’s reference point for experience levels aligns with the NZFC’s which you can read here. For this programme, if you think you meet emerging or mid-career for a reason not listed, explain why in your biography.
- Both the writer/s and producer/s of the scripted series concept attend Series Bootcamp development lab on 3 – 4 December 2020.
Note: Team members also need to be available to participate in an online 90-min feedback session in November (taking place 2-13 Nov, date and time to be agreed between teams and US screenwriter) and write up notes about how that feedback can be utilised to improve their concept. These notes are to be emailed to Script to Screen by 23 November so they can be read by the mentors attending Series Bootcamp.
To apply, you’ll need to submit the following in ONE .pdf document:
Please ensure your uploaded attachment is page numbered and includes a header with applicant names and project title.
Your document should not exceed 10 pages total (including any visual material/images you use). If you need to merge multiple documents you can use smallpdf.com for free.
Your submission document should include:
- A brief biography of each team member including key credits
- A link to prior produced screen work of lead producer/s and lead writer/s that they are most proud of
- A one-pager on your series concept that includes a premise and an overview of the series story (first season only if your story could work as a returning series)
- Up to ½ a page on the world of the series
- Up to ½ a page on the genre and tone of the series
- Up to ½ a page on who you think the audience is
- Up to ½ a page on where you think your series belongs in terms of networks and platforms, and why
- A brief description of your central character(s)
- Up to ½ a page of background information if applicable. For example, information on a historical basis, true story, source material, rights ownership
Important: Shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit the script for Episode 1 of their series (or the first 15 pages if the script is longer than this). We will notify shortlisted applicants on the week commencing 21 Sept, and the script will need to be delivered within three days. We recommend you prepare your script now so it is ready to submit.
Please ensure you complete payment of the $20 application fee by 30 August.
Bank details as follows:
Account Name: Script to Screen Te Tari Kupu A Whakaahua
Account Number: 03 0255 0178775-00
Reference: Bootcamp – Applicant name