Script to Screen is excited to be offering scholarships for six screen practitioners to take part in UCLA’s 10-week online training course Writing Screenplay Coverage.
Script to Screen will provide wrap-around support for the six participants before, during and after the course which runs from 30 September to 8 December 2021 (NZST). The UCLA course content is delivered through an online learning platform where you can engage with the instructor and classmates. There are no required live meetings, but assignments are due regularly. This course upskills aspiring story analysts, script editors, script assessors and development producers.
UCLA Extension: Writing Screenplay Coverage – Course Description:
“You learn how to do an in-depth analysis of the three-act structure, as well as dramatic and comic scene construction. You also learn the precise terminology used in story sessions, the foundations for great dialogue, and how to find original approaches to established genres. These and other principles become synthesised into coverage written to the highest professional standards in preparation for a job as either a story analyst or screenwriter who needs to critique his or her own scripts effectively.”
Script to Screen has identified a need to increase the diversity of script readers, assessors and selectors in Aotearoa and will therefore prioritise EOI from people with diverse identities and backgrounds.
The six selected participants will attend two Script to Screen workshops, one before the course starts and one after it finishes. The workshops will give context to the US-based course, demonstrating how the learning can be applied to a New Zealand context. Participants will also form a study group for the duration of the course.
To be eligible for this opportunity you need to:
- Be working in the film industry or have expertise in another industry, with transferable skills that will make you an excellent script reader, script assessor and story analyst e.g. publishing, theatre, journalism
- Intend to utilise the knowledge gained in this course, in the New Zealand screen industry
- Be committed and available to do the full 10-week course (roughly 5-8 hours a week), the 2 x one-day Script to Screen workshops and participate in the study group
- Be a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident currently living in New Zealand
UCLA course costs are paid for by Script to Screen thanks to support from the US Consulate. The workshops will take place in Auckland and all travel costs for participants based outside of Auckland will be covered by Script to Screen.
Those interested in participating please submit an expression of interest. It will include:
- A paragraph on what experience you have that makes you a good fit for this opportunity
- A paragraph about why you want to do this course and how this course will help you achieve your career goals
Expressions of Interest close: 20 June 2021, 11:59pm