EPISODIC LAB AOTEAROA is for writers or teams who have already demonstrated talent and tenacity writing or creating for television, web series, theatre or film.
If you are applying as a team, the team should include those who are actively working on the story only. You may be a team of writers, or your team may include a director, producer, and/or actor(s) but only if they play a central part in story generation. You cannot apply without at least one writer.
Each writer or team can submit one or two episodic concepts.
The independent selection panel will consider the strength of applicants’ prior produced work, the quality and originality of the episodic concept, the craft ability of the writer(s), and the feasibility of getting the series up onto the screen.
Applications opened: Thursday 29 March, 2018
Applications closed: Monday 7 May 2018, 10pm
5-day immersive lab: July 23-July 27, 2018, Auckland*
*Travel and accommodation will be provided for participants who live outside of Auckland
To apply you will need to provide the following in one .pdf document:
- A brief biography of each team member including key credits
- Links to the prior produced screen work you are most proud of
- A one-pager on your series’ concept that includes a premise and an overview of the series’ story (first season only if your story could work as a returning series)
- Up to ½ a page on the world of the series
- Up to ½ a page on the genre and tone of the series
- Up to ½ a page on who you think the audience is
- Up to ½ a page on where you think your series belongs in terms of networks and platforms, and why
- A brief description of your central character(s)
- Up to a page of background information if necessary. For example, information on the historical basis, true story, source material, rights ownership
- A 15-20 page script writing sample. This can be from a feature film, TV episode, play; web series episodes or a short film script
There is a $20 application fee. Please deposit this to the following account: Script to Screen Te Tari Kupu A Whakaahua – 0302550178775-00 Ref: Episodic Lab – Applicant name.
Note: Script to Screen and its EPISODIC LAB AOTEAROA partners, selectors, participants and advisors are contractually bound to confidentiality in relation to all projects submitted and workshopped as part of the lab. Participation in the lab does not require writers or teams to share or relinquish any intellectual property rights in relation to their projects.
The EPIDOSIC LAB AOTEAROA is made possible thanks to generous support from NZ On Air, Lightbox, the New Zealand Film Commission and Images & Sound.
June 7, 2018 - June 7, 2018, Auckland
We are excited to bring you award winning Australian producer, Kath Shelper (SAMSON AND DELILAH,TENDER, BLACK COMEDY) in conversation with Philippa Campbell (TOP OF THE LAKE) about how she has shepherded projects for the screen through unconventional paths, enabling talented writers and directors to find their voice & their audience.... Read more
April 27, 2018
Script to Screen is proud to award eight filmmakers places on the 2018 FilmUp Mentorship Programme. FilmUp is our high-end... Read more
March 28, 2018
EPISODIC LAB AOTEAROA is our brand new pilot programme and is an initiative designed to develop distinctive NZ writing talent in television drama. Up to 8 writers and/or teams will be awarded a place in the immersive lab where they will workshop their concepts with experienced television writers from NZ, Australia and beyond.... Read more
March 13, 2018
Stallone Vaiaoga-Ioasa shares how he made two self-funded feature films ... and made a profit. ... Read more