EPISODIC LAB AOTEAROA is for writers or teams who have already demonstrated talent and tenacity writing or creating for television, web series, theatre or film.
If you are applying as a team, the team should include those who are actively working on the story only. You may be a team of writers, or your team may include a director, producer, and/or actor(s) but only if they play a central part in story generation. You cannot apply without at least one writer.
Each writer or team can submit one or two episodic concepts.
The independent selection panel will consider the strength of applicants’ prior produced work, the quality and originality of the episodic concept, the craft ability of the writer(s), and the feasibility of getting the series up onto the screen.
Applications opened: Thursday 29 March, 2018
Applications closed: Monday 7 May 2018, 10pm
5-day immersive lab: July 23-July 27, 2018, Auckland*
*Travel and accommodation will be provided for participants who live outside of Auckland
To apply you will need to provide the following in one .pdf document:
- A brief biography of each team member including key credits
- Links to the prior produced screen work you are most proud of
- A one-pager on your series’ concept that includes a premise and an overview of the series’ story (first season only if your story could work as a returning series)
- Up to ½ a page on the world of the series
- Up to ½ a page on the genre and tone of the series
- Up to ½ a page on who you think the audience is
- Up to ½ a page on where you think your series belongs in terms of networks and platforms, and why
- A brief description of your central character(s)
- Up to a page of background information if necessary. For example, information on the historical basis, true story, source material, rights ownership
- A 15-20 page script writing sample. This can be from a feature film, TV episode, play; web series episodes or a short film script
There is a $20 application fee. Please deposit this to the following account: Script to Screen Te Tari Kupu A Whakaahua – 0302550178775-00 Ref: Episodic Lab – Applicant name.
Note: Script to Screen and its EPISODIC LAB AOTEAROA partners, selectors, participants and advisors are contractually bound to confidentiality in relation to all projects submitted and workshopped as part of the lab. Participation in the lab does not require writers or teams to share or relinquish any intellectual property rights in relation to their projects.
The EPIDOSIC LAB AOTEAROA is made possible thanks to generous support from NZ On Air, Lightbox, the New Zealand Film Commission and Images & Sound.
February 4, 2019
A new initiative designed to develop and package distinctive high-end series drama for the international market.... Read more
January 24, 2019
This one day course on writing a feature film looks at strategies for Coming up with a Cinematic Concept, growing Captivating Characters, locating the Core of your story and establishing your personal Connection to it.... Read more
January 23, 2019
Script to Screen's FilmUp Mentorship programme returns for 2019. Each year the FilmUp Mentorship programme supports and empowers up to eight tenacious and talented filmmakers to reach the next stage in their creative careers. ... Read more
The South Shorts Mentorship programme returns in 2019 with 9 emerging filmmakers selected to take part in the programme..... Read more