EPISODIC LAB AOTEAROA is for writers or teams who have already demonstrated talent and tenacity writing or creating for television, web series, theatre or film.
If you are applying as a team, the team should include those who are actively working on the story only. You may be a team of writers, or your team may include a director, producer, and/or actor(s) but only if they play a central part in story generation. You cannot apply without at least one writer.
Each writer or team can submit one or two episodic concepts.
The independent selection panel will consider the strength of applicants’ prior produced work, the quality and originality of the episodic concept, the craft ability of the writer(s), and the feasibility of getting the series up onto the screen.
Applications opened: Thursday 29 March, 2018
Applications closed: Monday 7 May 2018, 10pm
5-day immersive lab: July 23-July 27, 2018, Auckland*
*Travel and accommodation will be provided for participants who live outside of Auckland
To apply you will need to provide the following in one .pdf document:
- A brief biography of each team member including key credits
- Links to the prior produced screen work you are most proud of
- A one-pager on your series’ concept that includes a premise and an overview of the series’ story (first season only if your story could work as a returning series)
- Up to ½ a page on the world of the series
- Up to ½ a page on the genre and tone of the series
- Up to ½ a page on who you think the audience is
- Up to ½ a page on where you think your series belongs in terms of networks and platforms, and why
- A brief description of your central character(s)
- Up to a page of background information if necessary. For example, information on the historical basis, true story, source material, rights ownership
- A 15-20 page script writing sample. This can be from a feature film, TV episode, play; web series episodes or a short film script
There is a $20 application fee. Please deposit this to the following account: Script to Screen Te Tari Kupu A Whakaahua – 0302550178775-00 Ref: Episodic Lab – Applicant name.
Note: Script to Screen and its EPISODIC LAB AOTEAROA partners, selectors, participants and advisors are contractually bound to confidentiality in relation to all projects submitted and workshopped as part of the lab. Participation in the lab does not require writers or teams to share or relinquish any intellectual property rights in relation to their projects.
The EPIDOSIC LAB AOTEAROA is made possible thanks to generous support from NZ On Air, Lightbox, the New Zealand Film Commission and Images & Sound.
June 24, 2019
Get your script ready now! Applications open Friday 28 June. This year, Story Camp Aotearoa seeks feature film projects at any stage from treatment to advanced development. Up to eight selected writers or creative teams will participate in a rigorous five-day experience designed specifically to meet the development needs of their feature film project.... Read more
June 17, 2019
Got a script on development? Have you thought about your audience? Join us at this Script to Screen TALK and find out what local distributors consider before they take on a film for distribution.... Read more
June 13, 2019
The Fresh Shorts programme offers grants of up to $15,000 to six new or emerging filmmaker teams to make a short film. The 2019 round of Fresh Shorts is now open. ... Read more
June 9, 2019
The NZFC are pleased to announce a partnership with Script to Screen to deliver the Fresh Shorts programme. The Fresh Shorts programme offers grants of up to $15,000 to six new or emerging filmmaker teams to make a short film.... Read more